Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sample day

I'm not intending to log all my workouts on the blog here, but I'm going to post today since it gives me some meat for explanations of my system using the Convict Conditioning book.

Workout 1 - 09:30
Half pushups, 2 sets 10
Squats, 2 sets of 10
Straight bridges, 2 sets 10

Workout 2, 11:00
jacknife pulls, 2 sets 5
frog leg raises, 2 sets 10
Headstand- up once for 20 seconds.

Workout 3 - 12:15
Half pushups, 2 sets 10
Squats, 2 sets of 10
Straight bridges, 2 sets 10

Workout 4, 15:00
jacknife pulls, 2 sets 5
frog leg raises, 2 sets 10
Headstand- up twice for 20 seconds.

Workout 5 - 17:30
Half pushups, 2 sets 10
Squats, 2 sets of 10
Straight bridges, 2 sets 10

Workout 6, 18:00
jacknife pulls, 2 sets 5
frog leg raises, 2 sets 10
Headstand- up for 20 seconds.

As I posted previously, I have 2 basic workout, which I'm doing 3 times per day each.

When done with proper tensioning techniques as Described in Naked Warrior,these exercises are non isolating and very much full body, though each one targets a given area of the musculature harder.

Tensioning involves irradiating muscle groups by tensing the groups around them, and generating power throughout your whole body. So while doing 10 half pushups may nt seem like much, doing them slowly and with full body tension makes for a harder workout- but with more power (so the individual reps seem easier in one sense)

In Naked Warrior, Pavel describes Greasing the Groove - it boils down to doing a limited set of exercises, often, with limited repetitions so you never approach failure points. The rep counts in my workout are currently higher than he recommends, but will go down as the intensity of the steps progress.

I'm currently, this week, working on not increasing repetitions, but increasing the length of time per rep, tension, and improving form.

The one exercise here that has no repetitions is the headstand- it's static. Generally speaking the inverted work, working towards the one armed handstand pushup, isn't something you need to start until you are around step 6 on every other technique. For purposes of acclimatizing myself to inverted work, and training my balance and comfort, I'm taking this really slow and just getting up and holding a headstand a few times a day. I'm purposefully not pushing this one, though I intend to get to some form of partial handstand pushup before March.

I often squeeze my last two workouts of the day into a shorter timespan, often with a walk or jog in between. I do almost all of my eating in the evening, as per the Warrior Diet regimen, and find that I feel better after if I go to the table with a bit of muscle burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment